I was going to post this exciting piece of news days ago, but I've been really sick this week. (I think it was about the sickest I've been since I was a kid, and I hope I can make it at least another ten years without throwing up again.) Last weekend was our stake conference, and we were all excited to hear that Elder L. Tom Perry would be coming to speak to us. When I arrived and actually saw him close up, I realized I had never been that close to an apostle, and that I'd never shaken hands with one. I get sort of tired of hearing everyone else's stories about who they've met and who they know and who they've touched. So I was pretty determined I was going to shake his hand. Try as I might, I just couldn't get him alone in an "Oh! Well sorry to bump into you like that. While we're both here, maybe we should shake hands," sort of way. I gave up my quest (since I really didn't want to be a creepy stalker) and headed for the restroom. Lo and behold! He was entering the restroom, too! So maybe I could time it just right so we exited at the same time and . . . well you get the drift. It sorta worked, and it came off looking like he had approached me, and I was thrilled. Then, after all that work, we all got to go shake his hand after the meeting anyways.
"When you set out on your journey to Ithaca, pray that the road is long, full of adventure, full of knowledge." -Constantine P. Cavafy
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
An Apostle in New York
I was going to post this exciting piece of news days ago, but I've been really sick this week. (I think it was about the sickest I've been since I was a kid, and I hope I can make it at least another ten years without throwing up again.) Last weekend was our stake conference, and we were all excited to hear that Elder L. Tom Perry would be coming to speak to us. When I arrived and actually saw him close up, I realized I had never been that close to an apostle, and that I'd never shaken hands with one. I get sort of tired of hearing everyone else's stories about who they've met and who they know and who they've touched. So I was pretty determined I was going to shake his hand. Try as I might, I just couldn't get him alone in an "Oh! Well sorry to bump into you like that. While we're both here, maybe we should shake hands," sort of way. I gave up my quest (since I really didn't want to be a creepy stalker) and headed for the restroom. Lo and behold! He was entering the restroom, too! So maybe I could time it just right so we exited at the same time and . . . well you get the drift. It sorta worked, and it came off looking like he had approached me, and I was thrilled. Then, after all that work, we all got to go shake his hand after the meeting anyways.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
wow, we are both pretty lucky this week! I just realized that you are friends with Noelle and Phil bastian...I think I knew that before, but I'd forgotten. She's a great blogger :)
Post a Comment