Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Memorial Day

Spring has been a little sneaky here in Ithaca this year. We started getting really nice, warm weather earlier than expected, and everything started to bloom. We started participating in the great outdoors again with the gardening and fishing and such. Then all of a sudden things turned cold again. For a few weeks it just didn't feel very good to be outside. Even when we went to work hard in the garden there was a biting wind that wouldn't leave us alone. Last weekend the sun came out to play again. (And I really mean it came to play-- it's dropped back down to the low 50's as I write this.) It made for a great Memorial Day weekend that we hadn't really planned to have!

Cornell had graduation on Sunday, and even though we didn't attend, we're glad that the weather was nice for all of the families and graduates. That evening, some of our friends invited us over to play Settlers of Catan, which we haven't played in ages! It was really fun to hang out and to not be playing only against Mark (which always means he wins and I get mad so we don't play again for a long, long time). It was also great to spend time with Ben & Lexi before they move away from Ithaca for good as well as Matt & Caroline before they leave for 3 weeks in Europe.

On Monday, we decided it was finally time to purchase our NY State Parks pass which will allow us to enter all of the parks for the entire year. It will be an integral part of Mark's fishing plans this season. Since we had to go to a park to buy our pass, we decided to pick one where we could go hiking. So Mark wants to hike Fremont Peak, the tallest mountain near Pinedale in the Wind Rivers when we go to Wyoming in July. He and I will both need some conditioning if this is really going to happen, and I have yet to even commit to the plan. When we started up the first hill in Treman State Park and it just kept going up, up, up I wasn't so sure we would even make it to the first waterfall. However, with our new Camel-packs to provide us with liquid refreshment along the way (thanks, Janelle!) we managed to push on until our bodies gave in and started to work with us.


The trip was about 5 miles round trip, and we had a great time! The hike isn't quite as impressive as the Watkin's Glen gorge, but there were some pretty neat waterfalls along the way. The largest one in this gorge is Lucifer Falls, and you don't see it till you get to the top of the trail. It's a good thing we were rewarded at the top with this view, or all of the hills and stairs might not have felt worth it. :) And every time we saw a pool in the river, Mark asked if I thought it had any fish in it. He thinks I have everyone convinced that he's obsessed with fishing, so I should probably make it clear that he really was only asking me that because he knew it would drive me crazy by the end of the day. And he was right.

Later that day, our friend Tim Tran came over for dinner. He taught us how to make Vietnamese Spring Rolls which are so yummy! They're so easy to make, and one of my new favorite foods. We also grilled hamburgers and Mark made his first potato salad which was a big hit. By the end of the day we were completely exhausted, but it felt too early to go to bed. So I consented to watch The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy with Mark and managed to stay awake through the whole thing. I'm such a good wife. ;)

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I hope you can hike Fremont! That was where my first backpacking trip was ( the Wind Rivers) and we were going to hike Fremont, but there was a thunderstorm that day, so plans were changed. But the backpacking was great there. That's where we are going again this summer. it's Paul favorite place to go backpacking.