(This is the gorge we walk over on the way to campus.)
The main thing on my mind, though, has been stimulated by what's happening on the political scene lately. Ever since I came to Ithaca and learned about life in liberal country, I have had myself convinced that I'm moderate in my political stances. I've been in both camps and can understand why they feel the way they do about many issues. I don't get pleasure out of forcing my ideas upon others, so I'm pretty content to sit the fence. The last thing I want to be accused of is being 'conservative', mostly because I fear it also means I'll be perceived as naive, uneducated, and judgmental. Lately I'm beginning to realize that I'm just pretending to be something I'm not. Though an extreme conservative might think I'm a bit too liberal because I don't think certain moral issues should be government-controlled, I'm firmly planted on the conservative side of the fence. My life and values clearly dictate that. And I'm coming to terms with this reality. I still have no desire to force my views upon others, but it sure feels good to know for sure what those views are. And that doesn't mean I will unquestioningly follow a conservative leader because all the other conservatives are doing it. It makes my decisions more complicated because I have to study things more deeply to see how well they correlate with my views. While it may seem silly to some of you that I would have these feelings and then blog about them, part of my accepting this reality is to tell it to the world (or at least to the 5 people who might actually read this). :)
2 comments:
That's really interesting...I hadn't thought about it that way before. I bet living there does make you think more about issues than living out here in Utah...Oh, how I am ready for a change! And geocaching sounds....yes, nerdy is the right word!
PS - Paul's brother just bought Ticket to Ride, so we aren't going to purchase it until we leave Utah and no longer have easy access to it. hahaha
Remember my what-to-do-in-the-winter-to-make-it-feel-like-summer advice I posted on my blog? The beach boys thing? See? I was right! ;) You're funny. :)
Post a Comment