For those of you who aren't familiar with this-- dare I say nerdy?-- hobby, it's basically a high-tech treasure hunt. Somebody finds a nice, clever hiding place to plant their 'cache', which may include trinkets or coins or other tradeable objects. They also include a log for anybody who finds their cache to sign. Then they go online and document the GPS coordinates of the cache and may offer a few clues about the hiding place. We go online and retrieve the coordinates of caches hidden in our area, and then go find 'em. It can be kind of tricky, especially because they need to be hidden well enough that random passersby don't disturb them. If we take an item from a cache, we're supposed to replace it with something else. As you can see from some of these pictures, it can take a little fancy maneuvering to reach the hidden objects.
"When you set out on your journey to Ithaca, pray that the road is long, full of adventure, full of knowledge." -Constantine P. Cavafy
Sunday, February 10, 2008
Treasure Hunting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Oooo! Cool! :)
We just got a GPS too! Your blog has inspired me to use it. :)
Paul would be jealous....he wants a GPS like none other. I just can't justify it yet though....one of these Christmases I suppose...or maybe once we move to Texas and I get lost all the time.
Post a Comment