"When you set out on your journey to Ithaca, pray that the road is long, full of adventure, full of knowledge." -Constantine P. Cavafy
Saturday, September 27, 2008
Finally to Italy?
Mark and I have been talking about going to Italy since before we were married. We considered doing it as a belated honeymoon when Mark graduated from BYU, but it didn't work out. We pretty much plan to go every spring, but something comes up that makes it impossible. Or we just talk ourselves out of it before we get around to buying tickets. So we finally decided we should go for Christmas this year. I'm not trying to brag or rub it in or anything like that. I'm actually looking for feedback to help us decide whether we're really up for it or not. Has anybody traveled in Italy or Europe during winter? We realize the weather will not be ideal, but it WILL be warmer than New York, and we we're not really "beach people" anyways. We've heard that the lack of crowds makes for a nice visit, and Mark says that the Italian hot chocolate ranks up there with the gelato. The much lower ticket prices don't hurt, either. Any thoughts?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
10 comments:
Sadly, I have never traveled to Europe, let alone Italy...whether it was summer or winter :) But, I would say go for it!!! Especially if there won't be as many tourists, etc. Did Mark serve his mission there? My brother-in-law served there (I forget which mission), but he also lived there for a few years before his mission, because his dad was in the army. Anyway, I'm rambling now!
Oh, and THANKS SO MUCH for the delicious chocolate. Seriously, I don't know why Hershey is even in business. Their chocolate is so gross compared to almost any other chocolate. We especially loved the pistachio one. Where did you get that??? I've gotten the Lindt truffle bars before (sooo good), but I've never seen the pistachio or raspberry ones!
Anyway, hope you're doing great. I also loved your post about your anniversary. You put so many of my own emotions into words. Thanks for that :)
I say go for it! I'm sure you will have the best time there regardless of when you go! Besides, I've heard that the shopping there is great during that time of year because everything goes on sale. Maybe I'll just sneak my way back to Ithaca and hide in your suitcase so I can go too! I sure can't wait to see postings about this fabulous Christmas getaway!!!
I saw go and love every minute of it. I think you guys desire your trip to Italy. I am excited to be around while you plan everything and then to hear all about it when you get back.
Go for it Jenny, I don't think you'll ever say you wish you hadn't gone to Italy. I am silently jealous of you...
Oh and have a fabulous time!
One of my roommates served in Rome (And I know Mark did too) but she has a girl's perspective and might give you some good ideas. Here's her email address:
un.sacco.di.bene@gmail.com
She is actually Eden's sister, if you remember Eden. Have fun!
I did go to Rome, but it was in July and for only 3 days...no real advice. Sorry.
Joy and I have been debating how to make Thanksgiving with her family (a MUST this year) and Christmas with mine (the tradition) work this year with Hyrum, and today we got to the point of discussing the word OR. I mention this only to say that it gets more difficult to pack up and go, even when someone else is footing the bill. This week we're working on convincing Joy she can up and get out of the house anytime she wants, let alone out of the country.
So I vote go now. Life only gets more complex. It won't get easier until you're dead ... and the joy of being LDS is we're not even sure it gets easier then.
You should totally go, don't even think twice about it. Jeff and I always said we wanted to go to Taiwan within the first couple years of marriage. Once we started having kids that went right out the window. When will you have the chance to just pack and go again?
So I've never been to Italy...but when is it NOT a great time to go?! I say go for it. AND, Thank you very very much for the delicious chocolate. We downed the first bar and now I've been saving the second for when I absolutely need a chocolate fix. It was wonderful. Thank you!
HURRAY!! We are so happy for you guys. We can honestly say we have traveled Europe in winter, spring, summer and fall, and each season is deserving of a trip over!
You guys will have the time of your life and we look forward to hearing and seeing your experiences!
We love you both so much.....be watching for the "13 Weeks of Christmas" surprises!
Post a Comment