During our first winter in Ithaca, we discovered the Dickens' Festival in Skaneateles, NY. The local businesses contribute money (in hopes of making even more money from tourists) so the locals can dress up like characters from A Christmas Carol. They go around singing Christmas carols and acting out scenes from the book on the street corners. You can even get free hot chocolate, donuts, and roasted chestnuts if you know where to look. We went with the Hicks, some friends from our branch who are always looking for the creative, fun things to do in the area. The only reason we know about anything is that the branch is great about spreading the news when they find these fun things.

I don't remember who all of these guys were, except that the one in the maroon robe was the spirit of Christmas present. He had the most amazing singing voice, and he was usually singing while he walked around.

Here is a large group of carolers. I totally dig the costumes, but by this point I was really uncomfortably, miserably cold. I took off to find a restroom, and didn't come back until the singing was over.

The reason it took me so long was that I had to hunt down the free hot chocolate. Mark was a little mad at first that I'd gone without him, but realized he should be grateful that I could lead him right to the place.
No comments:
Post a Comment