Friday, May 7, 2010

Camilla Mae Transtrum

Camilla finally joined our family on Tuesday, May 4th at 4:02 pm. Without getting into all of the gritty details, it was a long hard labor. I went in on Monday morning at 8:00 so they could break my water to induce labor, but as usual Camilla took her own sweet time coming out. Her head was coming down at a funny angle, and later we found out she was turned face-up instead of down as she should have been. On Friday, an ultrasound estimated that she would weigh 8 lbs. 1 oz. I knew not to take that too literally, but we were all surprised when she ended up weighing in at 9 lbs. 9 oz. with a 15 1/4" head. Suffice it to say I was very happy to finally have a c-section, and we've been enjoying her ever since.





Camilla is a very sweet, low key baby. She rarely cries, and when she does it's more like a squeaky velociraptor (think Jurassic Park) and it's probably because she's getting her diaper changed and her legs are cold. Mark and I were very grateful that she was so relaxed in the hospital, because there were plenty of other babies who didn't make the transition into this world quite so easily. She has a little bit of dark hair on top of her head and a couple of super adorable cow-licks, and very dark blue eyes (I'm guessing they'll end up brown). She loves to snuggle, sleeps fairly well, and also likes just gazing up at us for long stretches. The only thing she has a hard time with is not tossing her cookies several times a day. She seems to have an irritated stomach, but the doctors expect it will get better over time. For now, we're just trying to make sure there are blankets anywhere she might lay in hopes that she won't ruin anything but her own possessions.

We all came home today and are getting used to the idea of having a baby around and in our lives!

7 comments:

Hillary and Jonathan said...

Congratulations again, guys, she's super cute! Let us know if you need anything!

Phil said...

Wow! What a beautiful little girl! Big congratulations from Ohio! We wish we could meet her in person. I had forgotten about the velociraptor cry but I said the very same thing when Jacob was born. Continue to enjoy these next few months, they fly by all too fast!
Love,
Phil and Noelle Bastian

Crystal said...

Oh my gosh, that's one of the prettiest newborns I've ever seen!! Honest. She's super cute. Nice work. :) Miss you!

Crystal said...

Wait, I figured it out. Besides the fact that she has good-looking parents, she came out with meat on her bones and she's not all squashed up! And she does seem like a peaceful child (again, like her parents) so she has a sweet expression. ;) All my kids were scrawny, squished, and looked very annoyed the first few weeks of life. :S Again, she's beautiful. And Dave adds his congratulations.

Gerret & Sarah said...

Congrats Jenny is is absolutle and breathtakingly beautiful. We are soo excited fo ryou both.

Melanie said...

Hooray! She looks great! I'm happy you are doing so well.

Liz and Scott said...

Congrats! SHe is a beautiful baby. I am glad you are doing okay. It is such a wonderful feeling to hold a new baby!