Wednesday, November 16, 2011

First Car & Camilla Tantrum

Have you ever had one of those friends who seems to constantly want to give to you? And at first you feel awkward because you're not really the giving type and have a hard time repaying the kindnesses? And then you realize they're not doing it to get favors in return, but because they're just that kind of person? I have stumbled upon this type of friend here in Houston, and it makes me want to be a better friend myself. Because I find myself needing this friend in a way that I've never wanted to need a friend. It's scary for me, but it feels good. 

The other day, this friend told me her neighbor gave them some toy cars for her son (the plastic type cars that kids can ride around in). It got me thinking that I needed something like that for Millie. But there is a long list of things I want to get her, so it wouldn't have happened anytime soon. And then a few days later, said friend told me her neighbors were giving away another toy car, but it hadn't been picked up. So she asked them if she could have it for her friend. They said yes! I never would have had the guts to ask like that, but I'm so grateful that she was thinking of us! 

Millie could spend hours in this thing if I would let her. Or in other words, if I would pay attention to her for that long since she wants me to watch everything she does. She just grinned and grinned when she realized this was all hers.






In related news, Camilla has taken some huge steps forward into toddlerhood. She understands so much of what we say these days, but struggles to form words herself. Consequently, she has started having meltdowns. They're not usually because I can't figure out what she wants--they seem to be much more related to her not knowing what she wants herself. Today she had the ultimate tantrum. She woke up early and cranky from a nap and wouldn't stop crying and whining. Nothing would calm her down, not even Will.i.am singing with Elmo on YouTube. When I turned it off, she only screamed louder. Everything I offered her resulted in a dramatic shake of the head (NO!) and more hysterics. Food that was offered was thrust aside. The offer of medicine was ignored (she's hooked on nasal spray and Vick's Baby Rub due to her current cold). Ignoring her had no effect. An hour and a half of this, and Daddy surprised us by coming home early. I thought, "Here is my salvation. She's all his. She'll probably smile and giggle at him like she's an angel." Not so. She decided Daddy was the real focus of her anger and only Mommy could touch her. She spent the next half hour cuddled up on my lap like we were best pals and nothing could come between us. Said child was put to bed early tonight and filed no complaints. She best behave herself tomorrow as I'm not ready for the terrible 2's yet. She's a good kid, but she's learning quickly how to push my buttons!

2 comments:

jess bahr said...

this is SO adorable. I can't believe how big and mature she is getting. Sorry about your hour and a half tantrum. Days like that you deserve a medal - or a hot soak in the tub - with chocolate. Good luck with the terrible twos, I will be looking for advice soon :)

Melanie said...

Just catching up on blogs...I am still so thrilled that you live in Texas :) I am determined to see you before we move. I love the pictures of the peacock costume and the car...she is such a cutie. And I love your short hair cut. Makes me want to chop mine again!