Tonight we took on a daunting task--babysitting an 18-month old and a 6-week old. It was equally exciting and nerve-wracking to anticipate. I really want Camilla to start making some friends (or having them assigned by me, I guess) now that she's getting to a more social age, but she's a rather quiet, reserved kid around other children. I'm okay with that--it's better than having the bully and not knowing how to appropriately discipline them. But I've never really been sure how she would handle herself with an actual playmate.
Turns out, this was the perfect situation for starting up a new friendship. This little boy, Enoch, was so much like Camilla in his temperament and personality that they got along beautifully. They had no problem sharing with each other, didn't get jealous of each other, and didn't seem to get tired of each other. They really fed off of each other, and it was music to my ears to listen to them laugh together. Plus, Enoch lives only a few blocks away, so hopefully we'll have plenty of opportunities to get together for play dates.
It was also so sweet to watch Camilla interact with a baby for the first time ever. She was fascinated by the little guy, and wanted to touch him very gently. When he got upset, she was so concerned about him that she would come to check on him and bring him his bottle--how does she know to do that?!?? She has never been around babies, and she never drank from a bottle herself. At one point, she came to me and put her arms up like she does when she wants to be picked up. I was afraid she was finally fed up with not getting the spotlight. Then I realized that she wanted to hold the baby. I was just so amazed at how well she accepted the little intruder that took up all of her mom's attention, and how loving she was towards him.
I have no fun pictures to post, but I wanted to remember how sweet Camilla was today, and how grown up she seemed to me. I really look forward to watching her go out into the world and interact with people more and more. I love her to pieces, and am so proud to be her momma!
1 comment:
Oh how sweet. We've been doing laundry at the Meadows and we had to park over by your building this last time because they were working on repaving and Norah got so excited thinking we were finally going to see "Baby Cama." Sounds like she isn't really a baby anymore sniff sniff.
Post a Comment